Future Huckster



Up high in the mountains, where e're I do roam. I found a new playland, a new summer home.


On the shores of Lake Ossipee, nestled in among the pine trees, sits Camp Nellie Huckins, a place that holds a place in my heart right next to Sugarloaf.
It's been over 20 years since I was a camper, but the memories of Huckins have stuck with me and I was excited to relive them with Logan during Mother-Daughter weekend. As you can see, she was excited to find out what it means to be a "Nellie girl."
After unpacking our stuff into Cabin U and picking out our bunks, we walked to the waterfront, down the same root-filled path I would trip down everyday on my way to swimming or small crafts. 

Then it was off to the dining hall for dinner with all of the camp and Logan couldn't wait to stand up on the benches and sing.
After a campfire with s'mores, the girls of Cabin U did their capers and got ready for bed. Sleep did not come easy.
The campers of Cabin U had a hard time staying asleep the next morning and several of us were up well before reveille was scheduled to blow at 7:15. We were tired but rewarded with sunrise and leftover marshmallows and graham crackers from the previous night's campfire.


The rest of the day was packed with all the activities Logan had on her list: archery, BB guns, crafts, water trampoline, kayaking, and even an impromptu play with her cabin-mates. 



She even allowed me a bit of time for nostalgia so that I could locate my name on the Huckster lists that line the Lodge.

Camp ended with an "all camp cookout," and a pontoon boat ride around the lake. Logan enjoyed every moment and now she understands why mommy wanted to go away every summer to Camp Huckins and she hopes she can do the same next year. Fingers crossed that she gets in.


Thanks to Molly Ness for telling me about mother-daughter camp and Katie Oullette for returning with me after all these years. Here's a picture of the first time Molly and I were campers in 1986, proudly representing cabin V (which is now Cabin U.)
Me - second row, first on the left. Molly - second row, fourth from the left.
Molly, when I showed this to Logan she said "omigosh, she looks just like Callie!"


Comments

Popular Posts